Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'M LATE! I'M LATE! FOR A VERY IMPORTANT DATE!

I'm not actually an Alice in Wonderland fan....

Anyway, I am two weeks late on an update because I am a terrible flake! BUT, in my defense, I've turned into a workaholic and I (eventually) always finish what I've started.
Anyone who lives in the Nevada area knows how unpredictable the weather can be. Especially when it comes to spring. We don't actually have a spring. Its more like Carson and surrounding areas can't decide whether or not its fully finished with winter so, our weather varies. These last two weeks have been mostly cold so, who wants to weed when its cold? NO ONE! :)

Today was finally decent enough to put on a goofy outfit and get to business. Regretfully, I've let my little piece of land become a mess. Completely overgrown with weeds and littered with rocks. Because of this, I have my work cut out for me. Weeding isn't the most enjoyable thing but its necessary for a healthy garden.

TOOLS:
- a hose to wet your soil



















- a ratty pair of sneakers
- knee pads or a pad to kneel on
- gloves



















- a bucket for the weeds (and a sweet puppy to help you out ;) )



















- and something comfortable to wear. You are, after all, doing manual labor. I chose a cut off in hopes of getting my little arms some color and linen pants.
Once you have everything together you can start the weeding process! I started with soaking the first section of the planter I've chosen to weed. This helps greatly because the roots are more likely to give and come all the way up if the soil isn't hard as a rock, which it often is living in the desert. Don't over do it. You don't want to work in a mud puddle. You could, of course, always just use a hula hoe to weed but the chances of your garden being infested with weeds again is likely. Soak and give it five-ten minutes to start seeping into the ground. Afterward, you can begin! Grab weeds closest to the roots and pull those suckers up! Be careful not to pull up/ throw away too much of the top soil. Its the most important, after all. (See Dustbowl for the consequences of destroying the top soil.) 
Make sure you periodically give your knees and back a break. We don't want to hurt ourselves in the process! Gardening is supposed to be fun! :) 

                                                                        BEFORE:

AFTER:

Its not much but its a start! After I've gotten the planter mostly weeded, I'll go back through and pick out all the big rocks. OH, and wear sunblock if you burn easily! 

2 comments: